Built in 1732 by the Peshwas, this is a landmark structure in the heart of Pune town. It was occupied by the Pehawas until 1818 when they lost the Anglo- Maratha war to the British. The fort has five entrance gates and Dilli Darwaza is the main one.The fort had many important structures inside such as the reception hall, dance hall and mirror hall along with wooden pillars, doorways in teak wood, chandeliers, paintings and rugs, most of which were gutted in a fire in 1828. Presently it has a nice garden, the palace fountain and ruins of various structures. This historic fort is claimed to be haunted by the ghost of Narayanrao, the fifth Peshwa ruler who was murdered by his guards.
- Contact Nomad